Thursday, January 31, 2013

R-E-S-PECT. It works.

 
   Here lately I've been working on myself - my character, my levels of responsibility, my respect for others. And in so doing, I've had to learn to accept things as they come. From taking instructions from a parent/person in authority, to finding the initiative myself, I've been putting in some hard work on my character.
 
     I have examples and opportunities everywhere I go of people I see that I don't want to act like...don't want to talk like...don't want to be associated with. Yet when I took a step back and really looked at myself, I realized that I have way more in common with those people than I ever care to admit. Talking with my closest friend on the face of the planet, I was able to see that I don't have to stay this way. I don't have to have an attitude when I'm told to do something. I don't have to react harshly when someone snaps at me. I can find ways to react positively to situations that I find myself in - whether they be preferred or not.
     
     One thing that I've been working on the most are my responses. Having respect for people in authority is key to obtaining this goal. I don't have to agree with the person, I don't have to act like their bestfriend. But, I do have to respect them - because guess what?? Th.ey are still human being. They still need someone to respect them as a human being, no matter the circumstances. And one way I can respect them is by watching my responses. How I react when they say or do something.
   For example: If I'm about to start my homework, I've had a long day of school and just want to get this done so I can go to bed....and my mom/dad/grandparent tells me to go clean the kitchen. Sure, I have "every right" to have a reaction and just be in a terrible mood. You could do that, and make everyone else miserable. Or, you can decide to put yourself, your self-interest, and your wants aside, and go clean the kitchen out of respect for the person who asked you. WITHOUT complaining and letting the whole world know you're doing it.
   
    If you do however REAALLLYYY need to get that essay written, or what have you, and can't possibly clean the kitchen, be respectful about it. Don't turn around and snap at the person, saying perhaps, "Mom, I can't. I'm TRYING to get my homework DONE!" That would only cause more problems between you and that person of authroity. Something along the lines of, "Mom, I would love to clean the kitchen for you. I have an essay due tomorrow that I really need to finish and print off though. Would it be okay if I cleaned the kitchen when I'm finished", or even offer to clean the kitchen tomorrow night when you don't have homework due, or make breakfast or something.

   There are so many things a person can say that wouldn't seem disrespectful - except for their tone of voice. When it comes to showing respect for those in authority, no matter what the situation, your tone of voice and how you say things will play a huge role in communication.

  This is something that I've been working on in myself...and I hope that, if needed, it is something that you can work on as well. Trust me, people see the change! People see the results, whether it's the person you're respecting, a close friend, or even someone in the middle at Walmart. People are always watching and learning - let us be respectful, and help teach those around us.

As always, with love,
   Simply Jenn
         

1 comment: