Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Buttermilk Brownies!

The other day while I was at work, the kiddos and I were playing with play-dough - oh what fun! I was given the brown play-dough  by a sweet little girl with big blue eyes, saying "Ms. Jenn, please come plaaayyyyy!!" How could I resist?
  Together, we made wiggle snakes and snowmen with top hats and used cookie cutters. At one point I took this picture:

....and send  it to my wonderful boyfriend, for privacy's sake we'll just call him the Sniper. Well, as soon as my Sniper saw this picture, he flipped out! "Oh my gosh, are those brownie hearts?? for real?? aww you're the best!!" ....Oops. Poor tyke got so excited too.......

                                      You know what that means: it's time to make brownies.

Therefore! As soon as I got home between my split work shifts, I got to work in crafting a brownie masterpiece! And, I shall be generous enough to share it with y'all here today :)

Buttermilk Brownies
Preheat your oven to 400* and grease a 9x13 square baking pan (or other desired pans: muffin tins, banana bread tins, etc etc.)
 
Boil together until a melted mess:
     1 c. cold water
     1/2 c. oil (I used Olive Oil)
     1/2 c. butter (aka 1 stick)
 
Sift together in a large bowl:
    
     2 c. sugar
     2 c. flour
     pinch salt
     4 T. cocoa powder
 
Pour the boiling mixture over the dry ingredients and beat until creamy, You can use a whisk, a mixer, a hand mixer, whatever suits your fancy! I used a wooden spoon though, that's my favorite :)
    
     Anyways...
 
Add:
 
     1/2 c. buttermilk
     1 t. Baking Soda
     2 eggs
     splash of vanilla
 
Stir well, and when all the ingredients are blended to perfection, pour the batter into your pre-greased pans. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, depending on your pan, remove from the oven and let cool. Now brownies you can leave in the same tin they were cooked in and they will do absolutely fine; or, you can remove them carefully by sliding a knife around the sides of the brownie and removing it gently to be placed on a pretty plate or what have you.
 
**Note** If you don't have buttermilk, all you need is regular milk and either lemon juice or vinegar. Add a splash of vinegar or juice to your 1 c. of milk, and let set while you prepare and mix the other ingredients. When it comes time to use the milk, you should be good to go!
 
These brownies are yummy frosted, or left alone alike. :)
 
Enjoy!
  -Simply Jenn 
 
P.S. I did make my sweetie heart-shaped and frosted brownies ;) sadly...we ate them before I could snap a picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment