Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Why do we believe in God?

One of my friends recently posted this on her blog, and with her permission, I'm gonna share it with y'all today. It hit home with me, and encouraged me in my faith.

Here's her Post:

"Why Do I believe in God?


I got to thinking lately, about why I believe in God. I mean, why do I believe in God? Why is it that I believe my belief is better than anyone else’s? Why is it that I believe in Jesus Christ- but not in Allah? or Buddha? or no god at all?

I can’t see God. I can’t physically hear God. I can’t physically feel God. But why does believing in Him bring me peace, even when the situation is hopeless in the eyes of the World? Why is it, that I believe the Bible is true? What makes it different then any others beliefs book?

Why is it, that Christianity is outlawed so many places? Why is it, that the mention of Jesus Christ, could cause you to lose your life? Why is it that praying to God, to thank Him for your food is against the law in some countries?

Why? Why do I believe in God? Why do I believe In eternal life? Why can I have Hope, in the darkest situations?

Why do I believe I am created by God- and in the image of God? Why do I believe Evolution to be false?

Why do I believe I am precious in the sight of a God I can‘t see? Why do I believe my life is worth anything?

Why? Why do I believe in God?

Why do I believe that same-sex marriage is wrong? Why do I believe that having sex before marriage is a sin? Why do I believe that abortion is murder? Why do believe that life is precious?

Why do I believe that lying is sin? Why do I believe that stealing is wrong? Why do I believe that taking some one elses life is evil?

Why? Why do I believe what I do? Why do I have so many rules? Why is it that I feel convicted when I sin? Why do I believe that there is a God who created the universe? who created the stars, galaxies, planets, earth, America, my family, and me?

Why do I believe that there is eternal life after death? Why do I believe in Heaven? And why do I believe in Hell? It would be easier to say there is no heaven or hell- only us. So why do I believe there is?

Why? Why is it that Christianity isn’t a religion- but rather it’s a Faith in a Creator God who believes that you are important. That you were worth dieing for? Why is it that so many reject life? love? and a God who was willing to take their death?

Why is it that many would rather believe they were created in the image of monkeys, instead of in the image of loving God and creator?

So why? Why do I believe that Christ is the I am. Why is it, that when I read his words in the Bible, when he says “I am love. I am Peace. I am Justice. I am righteousness. I am always present. I am mercy. I am courage for the courage less. I am belief, for those without any belief- why is it, that I believe those words?“

I believe in God, in the Bible, in eternal life, in His laws not because I am forced, but because He is the only God who was willing to die for me. My God is the only God who can and has forgiven me of my sin. I believe in God because He created me. I believe in God, because even when I am desperate, and searching for someone or something, or for peace: I feel his presence inside of me. And He is Peace.

I believe in the Bible, because it is the literal word of God. The Bible wasn’t written by men, but by Jesus. I believe in God, because I have faith in Him. I believe in life, because God breathed life into us, and He created life. I believe the laws of God, because they were written by God. I believe I am precious, because I was created in the image of God.

NO one can tell you what to believe. But I believe in God, because He doesn’t say woman is worthless. He says we are more precious than rubies. MY God doesn’t tell me to hijack a plane, and kill thousands. He says to love, and to heal, and to win souls for Christ. My God doesn’t say I’m better than the homeless. He says we are all sinners, who can be saved by faith. My God doesn’t say I am better or worse than man- my God says I am equal to my brothers in Christ.

My God gives me strength to get through every day. My God doesn’t require me to pray to an idol looking towards a city at a certain time. My God is always present for me when I want to talk to Him: even if I am in the shower, or on a plane. He hears me. My God always answers my prayers- sometimes with a no, yes, or just wait.
My God gives and takes away. He created life, and He can take it away. But in everything, I will praise Him: and bless His name.

My God commands us to love, and in return we are loved by those around us. MY God never stops loving me. My God Is forgiveness. MY God is grace.
I believe in God because He is the one who gave His life for me, and in Faith I have given Him mine.
So let me ask you Why? Why do you believe in God? Or for some, why don’t you believe in God?

-Beth Stewart"

~Simply Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment