Thursday, March 1, 2012


"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold." Proverbs 22:1

   A few days ago, this verse popped into my mind as I laid in bed, recalling the events of the day. I thought about some of the choices I'd made, how they affected others, and especially, how they affected my walk with Christ. "A good name is rather to be chosen....." What does this mean, a "good name"?
   
   Your "good name" is your reputation, and who you represent - Jesus Christ. Sometimes we smudge our reputation by choices we make, such as music we choose to listen to, people we decide to befriend, and such the like.
   
     The other day at school, I made some new friends. They're nice people, have lots of great taste, and hilarious - totally fun to be around. But then they started to exchange music, talk about songs they loved, and how insane the music videos are. I had no clue what songs they were talking about, but as they started to play them on YouTube, singing along and laughing, I began to realize that it wasn't music that would please God; rather, it was very much of the world. And yet, I didn't say anything. For that reason, I am ashamed.
  
     How they thought about me was more important to me than saying, "Hey man, that's really not cool (or not my style, etc.). What about this song?" and maybe bringing up a new country song or the latest TobyMac album. But I didn't say anything, just went along with it. That night, as I thought back to the events, I realize it wasn't worth it. My reputation in Christ should be much more important than what anyone thinks of me, cool people or not. And by keeping silent, how well did I represent Him?

   This grieves me. I know my Father will forgive me, and that we all mess up once in a while. As we were saying in our Bible study last night, don't feel sorry for me because I made a mistake and am sorry for it, but feel encouraged : learn from my mistake, become emboldened for Christ, and remember that who you represent is much more important that presenting yourself as just one of the crowd.
 
  This may have not seemed like such a big deal to some, "Oh, she listened to some weird music, whatever"; but we all have different convictions, and this is just one of mine. I love music with a passion. And honestly, whenever we sing, we are glorifying something. We should be glorifying Christ, but if we sing or listen to songs about sex, drugs, cheating, abuse, or drinking, what are we glorifying? It certainly isn't Christ. Think on that for a little bit.
  
   So today, as I go throughout my classes, my social life, my homelife, my job, I will remember who I represent; I will remember my good name. We are His ambassadors; we present His reputation, His love, His forgiveness, His holiness, His worth, His glory.

Are you living for Christ?

Love,
   Simply Jen

2 comments:

  1. Great post. This is exactly the reason I don't feel that I should hang around some of the people I met at college. They say great things about the Lord, but they seem to have a harder time living the life of Christ when they are other places besides Bible study and worship. I pray that the Lord will give you strength to stand up for what you believe in and not be ashamed of Him. He is the perfect lamb and in Him is no guile. You can always be loved and accepted in His presence even if you are not in the presence of "friends."
    Go with God
    -Emily G.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouragement my friend :)
    -Simply Jen

    ReplyDelete