Sunday, February 26, 2012

One Smile....Can Transform the World Around You


"Smile though your heart is breaking
Smile even though it's aching
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile"

One of my favorite songs, Smile by Nat King Cole. About a week ago, I had a moment of revelation and sent a text to some of my friends, and even posted it on facebook. It went a little something like this:
   As I was walking around the Lonestar campus, I took a moment to sit on one of the benches in a shady area. I watched all of the solemn expressions walk past me, some glancing my way, others plowing ahead to their next class. I suddenly began to smile, and make eye contact with each one of them as they walked by. It was amazing how many smiled back, waved, and walked on with a whole new expression, as if the world had been lifted from their shoulders. It doesn't matter what was going through their minds, doesn't matter what lay ahead of them - a test, an argument, a breakup, another hard day at work, or even just depression of life. To them, the fact that one person cared enough to give them a smile, to show they cared even if they're a complete stranger, was enough. And because of it, they have hope for a brighter tomorrow.
     Throughout the rest of that day, I smiled at everyone I walked by, everyone who made eye contact. Seeing how it affected them greatly - adults, teenagers, children, professors - not only made their days better, but mine as well. Not because I smiled at them, but because through that simple smile, God was giving them hope and joy for a better tomorrow. 
   I challenge you to reach out to those around you: in the workplace, at school, even at home, at church, in the store. 

Smile, because Jesus loves you - and so do I.
-Simply Jen
     

No comments:

Post a Comment